LOCK Engenharia is a member of the Green Building Council.
In 2008/2009, company Boehringer Ingelheim obtained the first LEED Gold seal for corporate environments in Brazil, and LOCK managed this process.
The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is an international system of environmental certification and orientation for buildings utilized in 143 countries that aims to encourage the transformation of projects, construction and operation of buildings, by always focusing sustainability in its actions.
• Sustainable sites – This encourages strategies that minimize the impacts over the ecosystem during the implementation of the building, and deals with fundamental issues for big urban centers, like the reduction in the use of cars and heat islands.
• Water efficiency – This promotes innovations regarding the rational use of water, focused on reducing drinking water consumption and water resource treatment and reuse alternatives.
• Energy & atmosphere – This promotes energy efficiency in building by means of simple and innovating strategies as for instance energy simulations, measurements, system commissioning, and use of efficient equipment and systems.
• Materials & resources – This encourages the use of materials with low environmental impact (recycled, regional, recyclable, for reuse, etc.) and reduces the generation of residues, besides promoting conscious disposal, by deviating the volume of residues generated in landfill sites.
• Indoor environmental quality – This promotes the internal environmental quality of the air, essential for environments with a high permanence of people, by focusing the choice of materials with low emission of volatile organic compounds, system controllability, thermal comfort and priority to spaces with external view and natural light.
• Innovation in design or innovation in operations – This encourages the search for knowledge on Green Buildings, as well as the creation of project measures not described in LEED categories. Points for exemplary performance are qualified for this category.
• Regional priority credits – This encourages credits defined as a regional priority in each country, according to the environmental, social and economic differences existing in each place. Four points are available for this category.